Thursday, January 31, 2019

The High Blood Pressure Story

                                                           The High Blood Pressure Story
                                                         This true story happened in 2002

                                                                 Rewritten 1/21/2019
                                                                      Howard Yasgar
 
 In the summer of 2002 my wife and I were in Islamorada, in the Florida Keys.
 I needed a new pair of eyeglasses so we thought it would be pretty easy to find a local optometrist.
 My wife thought she had seen one in the local Tavernier shopping center, so we drove over there.
 Sure enough, there was an optometrists office there.
We went inside, and standing behind the counter was a very nicely endowed young woman with extensive cleavage and she was proudly displaying it the best she could.
She appeared to be too young, but she said she was the optometrist.
Trying not to stare, I told her that I would like to buy two pairs of glasses.
She said that I would have to go through a full eye examination, and I agreed to do it.
As my wife took a seat and was reading a magazine in the outer waiting room, I followed the optometrist into the examination room.
In the examination room I sat down in the  optometrist’s chair, and she said that she needed to take my blood pressure.
I thought that strange as I never had an Optometrist take my blood pressure before an exam. But what the heck, I knew my blood pressure was always normal anyway.  
As she prepared to take my blood pressure, she was leaning over me with her bosom no more that a inch or two from my face, and I couldn’t help but stare at her cleavage as my nose was practically in it.
She pumped up the blood pressure machine and stared at the dial.
She said, “My goodness” your blood pressure is very high, it’s so high that it’s actually off the scale.
I became very alarmed and I asked her what I should do?
She said I needed medical attention right away.
Fortunately, right next to the same shopping center was Mariners Hospital.
I told my wife what the optometrist had said, that my blood pressure was so high it was off the scale.
My wife immediately drove me to the emergency room at Mariners Hospital.
By now I was sweating profusely, and fearing the worst.
As we registered at the emergency room desk, the receptionist  asked what was wrong and I told her that the optometrist said my blood pressure was so high that it was off the scale.
She went into action immediately, and found a nurse who rushed me into a room and rapidly hooked me up to a blood pressure machine.
You can be sure  I was really concerned as to what she would say, was I having a heart attack?  
She said, “Who told you your blood pressure was high”, so I told her it was the Optometrist.
The nurse said your blood pressure is perfectly normal.  
The hospital didn’t charge me anything, for the blood pressure test, and I got my glasses in Miami.      
      
                                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment